Friday, November 4, 2011

Thursday Ramp Up!

When did the weekends start including Thursday's?  In our house it seems like it's the first day in the long 4 day event filled section of the week.  We don't typically have things going on on a Thursday and yet I realized I include it, do you do that?

Here's how my Thursday went (yesterday)...
three hours spent at work (my day off, but fine as I was getting stuff done that couldn't get my attention otherwise).  45 minutes devoted to computer crap (25 min alone for Facebook because it's slower than the jar of molasses I bought 3 years ago). 1 hour to righting my kitchen (which also included the junk mail pile up).  Low and behold it was time for the kids to be home!!!  I knew I was heading to the gym with Kirsten, no open swim meant Luke was uninterested, and the library had emailed to remind me my books would be late if I waited one more day....so off we went.

I parked in the 5 min drop off zone at the library, because I only needed to drop off 4 and pick up 3 books ( I knew where they were) super quick 10 minuets tops!  Kirsten spent a couple extra minutes picking out a book and we were back in the car in what I would swear was only 10 minutes only to find that my car wouldn't start-urghhhhh!!!

I feel it's necessary to explain the special relationship I have with my car right now.  It's been in the family for six years and I've worked it considerably to an end.  Several years ago I had that glamorous lifestyle of a newspaper delivery driver.  It included approx 88 stops a day.  To some it wouldn't seem so bad but to car door it's the death.  At one point we had replaced the drivers side door and it was good to go until another 8 months on the job and the same drivers side door took a hiatus from life again.  It won't open from the inside and I should mention that in the same process of opening and closing your door 90 times a day also can cause the window to no longer work properly so it won't go all the way down and you need muscles of iron to get it back up, on a good day, so not a good idea to put it down.  It will open with the handle from the outside but its the boot scoot boogie over the passenger side to get out (especially great in a skirt of a dress, very lady like)

So here I am downtown at 4:45 pm turning the key in the ignition.  It's the dreaded sound "click, click, click....stop. turn. click, click, click"  So...as I've already shut my door, Kirsten slides out so I can crawl over (don't worry...remember I'm on the way to the gym so no dress today).  I also have escaped the power of the costly phone bill and head into the library.  Did you know they still have pay phones around? It's .50cents to use one these days, which I happened to have.  As luck would have it my husband was just about to leave work and he'd be down promptly.

On my way back to the car I noticed that the break lights were on...mmmmm...I've had this problem in the past as well.  Something to do with the dangling car starter boxes hanging just by the break pedal (should probably have that looked at).  So the lights left on for 10 minutes was enough to drain the power.  A little jiggling of the boxes, get out check the lights, more jiggling, more checking and after 3 rounds we were good. Now to wait for Scott. Since I had just picked up the next book in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and Kirsten had a book, we let the waiting commence. 

My next dilemma however occurred to me that Scott wouldn't be able to park next me unless I could save the spot to my left.  No problem I would wait for the driver to come out and stand in the spot flagging people to move on or start my car for me.  Totally not weird and I'm sure my twelve year old daughter will not be mortified.  However time is ticking and the owner is not out. It's a five minute zone, the car was there before we got in it's been about fifteen, twenty minutes what's the deal?.  My pulse is starting to pick up, how will I hook up the cables with Scott's car? My hands are sweaty, what will I do? I'll be stuck down here all night! Where's the owner of this car it's a five minute zone!!! Just as it seemed that Scott would have to park on the sidewalk (which I'm sure he wouldn't want to do, but choice would there be?) The lady came out and got into her car just as Scott was coming around the corner.  There would be no standing in the empty spot looking like a crazy person (never mind the fact that I've shown off my clown car several times already)

We started the car, I argued with Kirsten about my lack of enthusiasm for working out at this point, in which she won.  I kissed my Knight goodbye with promises to let the car run and charge for awhile (lets face it I still needed to find a spot to park downtown by the gym) and off we went. 

The rest of the night was mostly uneventful with the exception of the two girls complaining about running an eight minute mile while I'm laboriously slugging through my twelve minute mile...but at least I made it into the building, right? Seriously.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

So nice to have you back! Keep it up! (all of it, the blogging, the gym...) Sorry about your car, great descriptive writing, though!